ADRIAN, Mich. -- The Siena Heights women's volleyball team lost in straight sets to (RV) Lawrence Tech on Wednesday night in the SHU Fieldhouse. Carrigan Gray (Bowling Green, Ohio) paced the Saint attack with 21 assists in the losing effort.
Final Score: LTU 3, SHU 0 (25-21, 25-17, 25-20)
Location: Adrian, Michigan (SHU Fieldhouse)
Records: LTU (16-1, 10-0 WHAC), SHU (4-12, 2-8 WHAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Blue Devils survived a closely fought first frame that had 10 ties. Lawrence Tech went on a 6-0 run to take the final lead of the game 22-17. The Saints cut the deficit to three (24-21) but the Blue Devils scored the final point to take the 1-0 lead.
LTU jumped out to a quick 5-1 lead, but Siena Heights continued to fight and rallied to knot things up at six in set two. A 6-0 run by the Blue Devils put the score at 15-9 and that was all they needed to pull out a 25-17 decision and take control of the match 2-0.
The Saints kept the score close in the third stanza but a 5-0 run by Lawrence Tech gave the Blue Devils a 23-18 lead and SHU couldn't rally back before the visitors recorded 25 points.
• Gray contributed on both offense and defense as she added three kills, two service aces, seven digs, and two blocks to her team-high 21 assists.
• Grace Polomcak (Niles, Mich.) led Siena with seven kills. She also registered eight digs.
• Alli Conly (Linden, Mich.) led the team defensively with 14 digs. She also added two kills and an assist to her stat line.
• Janel Ruhlman (North Branch, Mich.) produced 10 digs and five kills in the match.
• Kristi Doherty was the Blue Devils leader in assists (34) and digs (17).
• Zakia Hunt totaled a match-high 11 kills.
• Shelby Rasch (16), Nichole Hyduk (13), and Varvara Gromakova (12) all contributed on defense in the dig column.
The Saints host cross-town rival Adrian College tomorrow night (Oct. 10) at 7:30 p.m., EST.