GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. -- The Siena Heights women's volleyball team came up short in a five-set match against Aquinas on the road Friday night. Carrigan (Bowling Green, Ohio) tallied a double-double (17assists, 16 digs) to lead the Saints in the hard-fought loss.
Final Score: Aquinas 3, Siena Heights 2 (25-13, 20-25, 22-25, 25-15, 15-7)
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan (Sturrus Center)
Records: Aquinas (8-9, 5-3 WHAC), Siena Heights (4-10, 2-6 WHAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Aquinas jumped out to an early 6-1 lead and never looked back in the opening set to take the 1-0 lead over the visiting Saints. SHU struggled on offense recording only seven kills in the opening set.
The host Saints jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the second, but Siena Heights would rally and take a 6-5 lead. Aquinas would tie the score a few times, but the visitors would continue to retake the lead for the remainder of the set and eventually knot things up at one game each.
Siena used a 4-0 and 3-0 run in the middle of the third set to take an 18-14 lead. With the score tied at 20, the visiting Saints would score five of the next seven points to take the win and have the hosts on the ropes with a 2-1 lead.
Aquinas built a lead and expanded upon it in the fourth to take the game 25-15 and force a decisive fifth set.
SHU jumped out to a 3-1 lead at the start of the final stanza, but the host Saints used a 4-0 run to take a 6-4 lead that they would not surrender.
TOP SHU SAINTS
• Janel Ruhlman (North Branch, Mich.) led Siena with a team-high 14 kills. She also contributed at the net with five blocks.
• Gray added nine kills, one ace, and one block to her team-leading stat line.
• Madison Sitter (Temperance, Mich.) totaled 13 assists to help pace the Saint attack.
• Karsyn Wolf (Temperance, Mich.) totaled 15 digs while Grace Polomczak (Niles, Mich.) finished with 13.
• Jackie Rozell had 15 kills.
• Kali Crawford finished with 43 assists.
• Karly Morris finished with 32 digs.
Siena will remain in Grand Rapids, Michigan to face Cornerstone tomorrow in another Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference (WHAC) match tomorrow. That match is scheduled to begin at 1:00 p.m., EST.