SOUTHFIELD, Mich. -- The 14th-ranked Siena Heights women's basketball team used a 13-0 run at the end of the game to pull away for a 70-63 win over Lawrence Tech on Saturday afternoon. Peyton Banks (Wadsworth, Ohio) led the Saints with 16 points and seven rebounds.
Final Score: Siena Heights 70, Lawrence Tech 63
Location: Southfield, Michigan (Don Ridler Field House)
Records: Siena Heights (24-4, 16-3 WHAC), Lawrence Tech (17-12, 11-8 WHAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Neither team could pull away for the first three-quarters of the game as all three ended with just a three-point margin. The Blue Devils held a 13-10 advantage at the end of the first quarter, a 30-27 lead at the half, and a 47-44 lead as the fourth quarter started.
Siena Heights would finally take the lead in the middle of the 13-0 run to end the game when Kiana Votava (Port Huron, Mich.) hit a jumper with 42 seconds remaining in the game (it was the eighth point of the 13-0 run). Banks hit two free throws and Demi Russell (Toledo, Ohio) made three more to end the game with the win.
The Saints had a 26-24 advantage in points in the paint. Lawrence Tech tallied 11 points off SHU turnovers, but the Saints outscored the Blue Devils 13-4 in second-chance points. The Siena Heights bench also outscored Lawrence Tech's 14-2. The score was tied four times and the lead changed six times in the contest. The Saints' largest lead was the final margin of seven points scored with six seconds left in the fourth. Lawrence Tech held its largest advantage of nine points at the 1:44 mark of the second quarter.
• Banks was 3-5 from the floor and 10-10 from the free-throw line for 16 points. She hauled in seven rebounds and had a block on the day.
• Votava scored 13 points on 5-8 shooting. She pulled down seven rebounds and had a block.
• Addyson Tomczak (Bay City, Mich.) totaled 10 points on 3-6 shooting. She added two rebounds and one assist to her stat line.
• Anaya Powell (Grand Rapids, Mich.) scored nine points and had three rebounds, one assist, one steal, and two blocks.
• Russell finished with eight points, seven rebounds, and two steals.
• Kelsey Wyman (Blissfield, Mich.) recorded seven points and six rebounds off the bench for Siena.
• Kaitlyn Smith, Kendall Fisher, and Danielle Hanson led the Blue Devils in scoring with 20, 19, and 16 points respectively.
• Hanson also led LTU with nine rebounds while Smith led with three steals.
The Saints return home to host Rochester in a conference matchup that begins at 6:00 p.m., EST. It is the final league game of the regular season.