ADRIAN, Mich. -- The Siena Heights women's basketball team suffered its first setback in a 56-52 loss at crosstown rival Adrian College on Tuesday night. The Bulldogs earned a victory over the Saints for the first time in 10 years. Kiana Votava (Port Huron, Mich.) led the Saints with 15 points in the losing effort.
Final Score: Adrian College 56, Siena Heights 52
Location: Adrian, Michigan (MSFC)
Records: Adrian (4-1), Siena Heights (6-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Saints jumped out to a 12-5 lead in the first quarter. Adrian hit a bucket before time expired to pull within five points going into the second quarter.
Siena Heights built an eight-point lead, 15-7, with 9:26 left in the opening half. The Bulldogs went on an 8-0 run to end the second to take a 25-23 lead as the teams entered the locker rooms at the half.
Both teams traded leads coming out the break, but Adrian eventually built a six-point cushion, 36-32, as the game entered the final quarter of the game.
Kelsey Wyman (Blissfield, Mich.) hit a three-point jumper with 8:18 remaining in regulation to put the Saints on top, 39-38. The Saints eventually built a six-point lead, 46-40, with 5:26 left on the clock. The Bulldogs came roaring back to tie things up at 51 with 1:46 left in regulation before the Bulldogs pulled out the two basket win.
• Votava added six rebounds, three assists, and a steal to her stat line.
• Wyman tallied 12 points off the bench and led the team in rebounds with eight while also plucking two steals.
• Demi Russell (Toledo, Ohio) netted nine points, four rebounds, and a team-high four assists.
• Addison Bergman led Adrian off the bench with 14 points.
• Sha'Trice Graves tallied 14 rebounds and 10 points.
• Arjanae Morgan scored 13 points in the win.
The stay home to host Carlow (Pa.) in the annual SHU Thanksgiving Classic on Saturday, November 30. Tip-off for the game is scheduled for 4:00 p.m., EST.