ADRIAN, Mich. -- The Siena Heights women's basketball team overcame a late rally by Northwestern Ohio to earn its 10th win in Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference (WHAC) play this season. Kiana Votava was the leading scorer for the Saints with 17 points in the win.
Final Score: Siena Heights 71, Northwestern Ohio 63
Location: Adrian, Michigan (SHU Fieldhouse)
Records: Siena Heights (17-5, 10-3 WHAC), Northwestern Ohio (8-14, 4-8 WHAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Addyson Tomczak started the game on fire by hitting three three-point jumpers in the opening five minutes of the game on her way to finishing the first quarter with 10 points. The Saints shot 5-9 from beyond the arc in the opening 10 minutes. Siena jumped out to a 12-3 lead after a 9-0 run in which Tomczak hit two of her three jumpers from long range. The Racers responded with a 6-0 run to cut the deficit to just two (15-13) with 2:17 remaining in the first.
Demi Russell hit a jumper that sparked a 7-0 run for the Saints in the second that gave SHU a 30-21 advantage in the opening three minutes of the period. Siena tallied a double-digit lead (38-28) following a 5-0 run that ended with 3:04 remaining before the half.
Northwestern Ohio completed a 12-0 run that tied the game at 44 with 3:25 left in the third quarter. The Saints were able to gather up a small four-point lead (52-48) going into the final 10 minutes.
The Racers would continue to fight back, using a 6-0 run in the opening minutes of the fourth quarter to tie the game up at 55 with just over six minutes left in regulation. Siena would respond with a 6-0 run of its own to pull ahead 61-55 with just 3:12 left on the clock. With the score sitting at 66-63, Saints, Tomczak drilled a three-point dagger with just 37 seconds left to seal the game for Siena.
• Votava shot 6-8 from the floor, 3-4 from three, and 2-2 from the free throw line while pulling down five rebounds, and dishing three assists.
• Tomczak finished with four three-point jumpers, four rebounds, and four assists.
• Alyssa Larson was the final Saint in double-figures with 12 points off the bench. She also pulled down a team-high six boards.
• Peyton Banks and Russell each finished with nine points. Russell also had four assists.
• Shatisha Dukes led UNOH with 14 points and a game-high seven rebounds.
• Emily Patton tallied 13 points and six rebounds.
• Leticia Johnson registered nine points for the Racers off the bench.
Siena travels to face UM-Dearborn for a WHAC contest this Wednesday, January 23. Tip-off is scheduled for 5:30 p.m.