ADRIAN, Mich. -- The Siena Heights women's volleyball team pushed past Concordia (Mich.) in five sets in the team's season opener at home. Autumn Anderson (Roseville, Mich.) made a splash with her collegiate debut for the Saints. She finished the night with 11 kills and 17 digs for the double-double.
Final Score: Siena Heights 3, Concordia 2 (21-25, 25-16, 25-14, 25-27, 16-14)
Location: Adrian, Michigan (SHU Fieldhouse)
Records: Siena Heights (1-0, 1-0 WHAC), Concordia (3-3, 3-2 WHAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Cardinals jumped out to a 9-0 lead in the first set before the Saints rallied with a 6-0 run to knot things up at 11 apiece. The score was tied again at 12 and 14, but Concordia kept the advantage to earn the 25-21 win and a 1-0 lead.
The second remained close all the way to an 11-11 tie. Siena Heights used two runs of 3-0 to pull ahead 24-16 before closing things out and tying the set score at one each.
The Saints dominated the third, doubling the Cardinals with a 22-11 lead before taking the 2-1 lead with a 25-14 win.
Concordia build a slim lead and kept it for most of the fourth. SHU rallied late to knot the score at 23. The Cardinals tied things up at 24 to force extra points and used a 3-0 run to force a decisive fifth set.
An early 9-5 lead for Concordia was not enough as the Saints used a 5-0 run to gain the lead, 10-9. The teams would trade points and tie the score at 11, 12, 13, and 14. With a 14-13 deficit, SHU's Aline Marinelo (Brazil) recorded a kill to knot the score up at 14. An attack error by Concordia gave Siena Heights a match-point and Marinelo came through a second time with another kill to seal the win for Siena.
• Anderson added two service aces and two blocks to her double-double stat line.
• Samantha Getson (Morenci, Mich.) recorded a team-high 13 kills in her collegiate debut. She added an assist, seven digs, and a block to her totals.
• Aubrey Bates (Grand Haven, Mich.) paced the Saints attack with 41 assists on the evening. She also recorded a double-double with her assist number and 21 digs.
• Karsyn Wolf (Temperance, Mich.) helped defensively with 14 digs. She also tallied two assists.
• Kayla Peters led the Cardinals with 16 kills and 25 digs.
• Kaitlin Veihl finished with 14 kills.
The Saints wake up early for an 11:00 a.m., EST match with UNOH in the SHU Fieldhouse on Saturday, February 13.