ADRIAN, Mich. -- The Siena Heights women's volleyball hung tough against Northwestern Ohio (UNOH) in a 3-1 loss on senior night. Senior Carrigan Gray (Bowling Green, Mich.) finished the match with a double-double in assists (40) and digs (14) to lead the team in the losing effort.
Final Score: UNOH 3, SHU 1 (26-28, 27-25, 25-22, 25-16)
Location: Adrian, Michigan (SHU Fieldhouse)
Records: UNOH (23-10, 13-6 WHAC), Siena Heights (10-16, 7-12 WHAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Saints rallied back from a seven-point deficit (21-13) with an 8-0 run to take the lead 22-21. Both teams traded points into extras, but Siena Heights edged the Racers 28-26 to take the 1-0 lead. The Saint out hit UNOH in set one .302-.240.
Siena Heights again battled back in the second set, this time trailing 23-18 before knotting things up at 24 to force extra points. The teams traded points once to retie the score at 25, but the Racers scored the next two points to tie the set score at one apiece.
The score remained close throughout the third set with UNOH holding onto a small two-point lead for much of the third. With the score at 20-16 in favor of the Racers, the Saints rattled off five-straight points to take a one-point lead. UNOH tied the score at 22 and then used a 3-0 run to end the set and gain its first lead of the match 2-1.
The fourth set was all UNOH as they battled through long rallies and came out the other side with a 20-14 lead before closing out the match with a 25-16 decision for the 3-1 win.
• Gray finished added four kills to go along with her double-double stat line.
• Senior Madison Sitter (Temperance, Mich.) got the start and registered three assists.
• Senior Anna Tartarian (Monroe, Mich.) finished tied with a team-high 19 digs. She also added three assists.
• Senior Eriona Chambers (Flint, Mich.) registered five kills and three blocks.
• Grace Polomcak (Niles, Mich.) recorded a double-double with 15 kills and 12 digs. She also had an assist and six blocks.
• Victoria Nerkowski () was one block shy of a double-double as she finished with 12 kills and nine blocks. She also contributed on defense with two digs.
• Janel Ruhlman (North Branch, Mich.) had a double-double with 11 kills and 12 digs.
• Devon Heitkamp led the Racers with 19 kills.
• Erika Angstmann finished with 16 kills while Kacey Jaeger and Olivia Hermiller each registered 13 and 11 kills respectively.
• Kayleigh Hulst had 56 assists to pace the Racer attack.
• Kaela Stoll led the defense with 19 digs.
The Saints sit firmly in the eighth-spot in the Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference (WHAC) standings. They will face top-seeded Lawrence Tech once the WHAC tournament gets underway next week.
The Saints will face the Blue Devils of Lawrence Tech in the final match of the regular season on Saturday, November 9. The match will begin at 5:00 p.m., EST.