ADRIAN, Mich. -- The Siena Heights women's volleyball team lost in heartbreaking fashion to Cornerstone in five sets on Saturday afternoon in the SHU Fieldhouse. Christine Tylutki tallied her fifth double-double in the match with 17 kills and 15 digs to lead the Saints in the losing effort.
Final Score: Cornerstone 3, Siena Heights 2 (18-25, 19-25, 25-19, 25-19, 15-10)
Location: Adrian, Michigan (SHU Fieldhouse)
Records: Cornerstone (13-7, 5-3 WHAC), SHU (10-6, 5-4 WHAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Siena jumped out to a 13-6 lead in the opening set and never looked back to earn the 25-18 decision and a 1-0 lead. Game two went much the way of the first game with the Saints building a 12-5 lead and taking the 2-0 lead.
Momentum would flip in the third game as Cornerstone rallied to take game three 25-19 and cut the SHU lead in half, 2-1. The Golden Eagles jumped out to a quick 10-4 lead in game four. Siena was able to cut the deficit to four, but Cornerstone earned the 25-19 win and forced a fifth and final set.
The Saints hitting errors (-.053) in the final set cost them and Cornerstone took advantage with a 15-10 win to take the match.
• Tylutki registered three assists and one block to her stat line.
• Ashleigh Shay finished with 11 kills and a team-high hitting percentage of .385. She also tallied two digs and two blocks.
• Carrigan Gray paced the Siena attack with 36 assists while also recording five kills, 12 digs, two blocks, and a service ace.
• Bianca Negron led the defensive with 27 digs. She also added two service aces and an assist to her day.
• Taylor Felver helped on both sides of the ball with seven kills and 19 digs.
• Anna Tartarian also contributed on defense with 12 digs.
• Kendra Zwart led the Golden Eagles with 17 kills.
• Kayla Clark finished with a match-high 41 assists.
• Marcella Compeau and Mackenzie Vallad each finished with 22 and 21 digs respectively.
The Saints hit the road on Wednesday, October 3 for a 7:00 p.m., match to face Lawrence Tech in Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference action.