GOSHEN, Ind. -- The Siena Heights women's volleyball team lost one and won one match at the Goshen (Ind.) tri-match on Saturday. The Saints fell to the Maple Leafs in five sets in the first match of the day. Siena finished the day with a 3-1 win over Indiana University-South Bend (IUSB). Carrigan Gray (Bowling Green, Ohio) led the Saints with 62 assists on the day.
Final Scores: Goshen 3, SHU 2 (18-25, 25-15, 19-25, 25-17, 15-10) | SHU 3, IUSB 1 (15-25, 25-19, 25-17, 25-21)
Location: Goshen, Indiana (Gunden Gym)
Record: Siena Heights (5-3)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Game One: Goshen 3, SHU 2
Siena pulled away from Goshen in the opening set of the match with a 25-18 decision to take a 1-0 lead. The Maple Leafs bounced back to win game two and tie the score at one game each. The Saints regained the lead with a 25-19 game three win.
Goshen forced a decisive fifth set with a 25-17 win in game four before pulling out a 15-10 game five victory to take the match.
Game Two: SHU 3, IUSB
IUSB took the 1-0 lead after a 10-point win in game one. SHU rallied to tie the game after a 25-19 set two decision. The Saints put the Titans on the ropes after pulling out a win in game three before closing out the match with a 25-21 win in the fourth game to earn the victory.
• Ashleigh Shay (Brooklyn, Mich.) led the Saints attack with nine kills in the first match and 11 kills in the second for a 20 kill day. She also tallied a match-high seven block assists against the Titans.
• Gray added six kills in both matches for a total of 12 on the day along with 15 digs to go along with her assist totals.
• Bianca Negron (Adrian, Mich.) led the SHU defense with 35 digs for the whole day.
• Hallie Vanitvelt led Goshen with 15 kills; Sarah Allison had a triple-double to lead the Titans with 18 kills, 11 assists, and 12 digs.
• Ally Roehr paced the Maple Leaf offense with 18 assists.
• Jennifer Ritchie had 15 digs for Goshen; Samantha Hockstra led IUSB with 19 digs.
The Saints travel to face Michigan-Dearborn on Wednesday, September 12. The match is set to begin at 7:00 p.m., EDT.