ADRIAN, Mich. -- The Siena Heights women's volleyball team swept both opponents on the opening day of the Siena Heights Invitational. The Saints finished off Calumet College in three straight sets (25-16, 25-12, 25-21) before capping the day with a second dominant performance against Rober Morris (Ill.) (25-16, 25-22, 25-15). Junior Carrigan Gray (Bowling Green, Ohio) commanded the offense combining for 50 assists on the day.
Final Scores: Game One - SHU 3, Calumet 0 (25-16, 25-12, 25-21) | Game two - SHU 3, RMU 0 (25-16, 25-22, 25-15)
Location: Adrian, Michigan (SHU Fieldhouse)
Record: Siena Heights (3-0)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Game One: SHU vs. Calumet
Following a 25-16 set one victory, Siena Heights hit a match-high team percentage (.400) to nab the second set, 25-12, and take the commanding 2-0 lead.
The Crimson Wave kept the third set much closer than the previous two, but SHU was able to hold out to earn the 3-0 sweep with a 25-21 game three win.
Game Two: SHU vs. RMU
The Saints had 13 kills in set three (.333 team percentage) in the 3-0 sweep of Rober Morris. SHU held the Eagles to a negative hitting percentage (-.080) in the opening set to take a 1-0 lead.
The match was ended after three when the Saints held RMU to only nine kills in the third.
• Grace Polomcak (Niles, Mich.) led the SHU attack in the first match with a match-high 11 kills.
• Christine Tylutki (Monroe, Mich.) and Gray each tallied six kills in the opener.
• Bianca Negron (Adrian, Mich.) led defensively with 14 digs against CCSJ.
• Match two was led by Ashleigh Shay (Brooklyn, Mich.) and Tylutki who each had eight kills.
• Gray put her kill total to 12 at the end of the day.
• Tylutki finished match two with a team-high 11 digs.
• Calumet: Alex Sullivan (5 kills), Rhiannon Kozy (5 assists), and Caitlin Alwine (16 digs).
• RMU: Hailey Welch (11 kills), Grace Konovodoff (20 assists), and Lindsey Veersma (14 digs).
The Saints will wrap up the tournament tomorrow with matches against Spring Arbor at 9:00 a.m., and Huntington (Ind.) at 3:00 p.m., EST.