ADRIAN, MICH. -- The Siena Heights University women's volleyball team started the season with a 3-0 sweep of crosstown rival Adrian College (25-19, 25-23, 25-19). Christine Tylutki (Senior, Monroe, Mich.) registered a double-double with a match-high 15 kills on top of 14 digs.
Final Score: Siena Heights 3, Adrian College 0 (25-19, 25-23, 25-19)
Location: Adrian, Michigan (Merillat Sports and Fitness Center)
Record: Siena Heights (1-0)
HOW IT HAPPENED
There were seven ties in the opening set before the Saints pulled out a four-point lead (15-11) in the middle of game one. Siena finished with a 25-19 decision in the first set to take a 1-0 lead.
Adrian jumped out to a quick 4-0 lead in game two. The Saints kept the score close before exploding for eight-straight points to take a 17-16 lead. After Adrian tied the game at 17, Siena scored six of the next seven points to hold a 23-18 advantage. The Bulldogs cut the lead to 24-23 before the Saints earned the 2-0 lead with a 25-23 set victory.
SHU had its highest team hitting percentage (.178) in the third set as the match was concluded with a 25-19 Saints win in the third.
• Tylutki finished with a team-high hitting percentage (.277) and kills (15). She was second on the team in digs with 14.
• Carrigan Gray (Junior, Bowling Green, Ohio) paced the Saints offense with a match-high 36 assists. She also contributed with two kills and seven digs.
• Bianca Negron (Senior, Adrian, Mich.) led the SHU defense with 16 digs.
• Rebekah Collier (Junior, Waterford, Mich.) led the team with two blocks along with four kills.
• Olivia Welch led the Adrian offense with seven kills and match-high 21 digs.
• Liz Susitko set the tone for the Bulldogs with 17 assists. She also tallied two kills and one block.
• Megan Prsa contributed 13 digs in the losing effort.
Siena will open up its invitational this weekend with matches against Calumet Saint Joseph (Ind.) (2:00 PM) and Robert Morris (Ill.) (6:00 PM) on Friday, August 31.