ADRIAN, Mich. -- The Siena Heights soccer team (2-1, 2-1 WHAC) lost 3-2 to Concordia (Mich.) (2-1, 2-1 WHAC) in the team's final home game of the 2020 fall season. Marissa Young (So. | Genoa, Ohio) led the Saints with a goal in the 56th minute that gave the Saints a 2-1 lead.
Final Score: CUAA 3, SHU 2
Location: Adrian, Michigan (O'Laughlin Stadium)
Records: CUAA (2-1, 2-1 WHAC), SHU (2-1, 2-1 WHAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Cardinals set the pace in the opening half of the game as they outshot the Saints 6-2 in the first 45 minutes. The 0-0 deadlock was broken in the 12th minute when Samantha Golchuk fought through the SHU defense for a loose ball and put the ball into the upper-left portion of the net to give Concordia (Mich.) the early 1-0 lead. Saint goalkeeper Kara Bishop (Sr. | Allegan, Mich.) made two saves that kept Siena within one score of tying things up.
The Saints tied things up with a beautiful pass off a free kick from Mackenzie Stenzel (Fr. | Shelby Twp., Mich.) found the forehead of Ashley Kraiza (So. | Sterling Heights, Mich.) and rolled into the bottom left of the net. Less than two minutes later, Ashley Strong (Sr. | Howell, Mich.) kicked a bomb that Young was able to chase down and put into the net to give Siena the 2-1 lead. Golchuk found the net for the second time for the Cardinals in the 65th minute to tie the game at two goals. Kendra Lewis broke the tie in the 67th minute and Concordia (Mich.) was able to hang on for the win.
• Young led the Saints with two shots and a goal. She leads the team in points with four.
• Strong, who played in her final home game as a Saint, tallied her first point of the season with her assist on Young's goal.
• Kraiza's goal was a first for her career at Siena.
• Stenzel's assist was her first point in a Saints uniform.
• Bishop (2-1) finished the game with three saves.
• Golchuk scored two goals to lead CUAA.
• Lewis tallied the game-winning goal and Allison Lentz registered the team's only assist.
• Hayley Jacobson (1-0) made one save in the game.
The Siena Heights women's soccer team concludes the 2020 fall season with a road contest against Cornerstone next Saturday, October 24. The game is scheduled to kick off at 7:00 p.m., EST.