Adrian, Mich. The Siena Heights University women's soccer team won their season opener against Point Park this evening by a score of 2-1. Julia Stancato (Junior, South Lyon, Mich.) scored late in the game to break a 1-1 tie to give SHU the advantage.
Final Score: Siena Heights 2, Point Park (PA) 1
Location: Adrian, Michigan (O'Laughlin Stadium)
Records: SHU (1-0-0) Point Park (0-2-0)
How It Happened:
The game started off in favor for the Pioneers as Taylor Goldstrohm scored in the 6th minute of the game giving the visitors an early lead in the game.
The Saints kept fighting back all first half but could not land any goals as the Pioneer defense, led by goalkeeper Ashtyn Webb (L, 0-2) kept Siena off the board. SHU tallied five shots (three on goal), however, the score remained 1-0 as both teams went into the locker at the intermission.
The Saints came to life in the second half of the game as they were able to put up 13 shots on the Point Park goaltender. Taylor Mulder (Senior, Saline, Mich) scored in the 77th minute of the game to tie it up and make the game interesting. Shortly after Mulder's goal, Julia Stancato came out on top with a race to the ball with the Point Park goaltender and netted a shot in the 85th minute to give SHU the lead.
• Mulder scored her first goal of the season on a game-high three shots on goal to start her senior season strong.
• Stancato tallied the game-winning goal, her first of the season, to give the Saints the opportunity to win the game. She also recorded a game-high three shots on goal.
• Sophia Lentz (Junior, Kalamazoo, Mich.) (W, 1-0) totaled two saves in 90:00 of play to earn the win.
• Taylor Goldstrohm was able to score the lone goal for the Pioneers. She also led the team with five shots (two on goal).
• Despite the loss, Webb saved nine of the 11 shots on goal that she faced.
Siena Heights welcomes in Missouri Baptist this Saturday, Sept. 1, in Adrian, Mich. Kickoff is scheduled for 1:00 pm EST.