FORT WAYNE, Ind. -- The Siena Heights women's lacrosse team had their season come to an end after a 16-7 loss at Indiana Tech in the Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic (WHAC) tournament semifinal round on Thursday night. Katherine Tapia led the Saints with two goals and two assists in the losing effort.
Final Scores: Indiana Tech 16, Siena Heights 7
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana (Warrior Athletic Field)
Records: Indiana Tech (13-2), Siena Heights (8-10)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Jenna Sommerville gave the Saints a 1-0 lead early on in the game after a goal off an assist from Katherine Tapia. The Warriors then scored three consecutive goals in the next eight minutes to pull ahead 3-1. Alexis Nicole scored an unassisted goal at the 9:57 mark to bring Siena within a goal of tying. Indiana Tech scored another goal to double the lead before Kristin Delclos scored to put things at 4-3. The Warriors ended the first half with three straight goals to end the first half with a 7-3 lead.
Indiana Tech rattled off the first five goals of the second half to pull ahead 12-3 with just under 18:30 remaining in regulation. Samantha Pawlowski netted a shot for the Saints. Sommerville scored her second goal and Tapia scored twice to cut the deficit to five goals (12-7) with just 6:30 left on the clock. The Warriors defense stiffened and the offense scored the final four goals of the game to end things at 16-7.
• Tapia scored twice on six shots on goal while scooping up three ground balls and causing a turnover.
• Sommerville scored two goals on five shots on goal.
• Nicole scored a goal and had three ground balls and three draw controls.
• Delclos and Pawlowski each scored once in the losing effort.
• Jennifer Banks finished with eight points (7+1=8) to lead all players in scorers.
• Abbey Wilson and Banks led the Warriors with four ground balls.
SEASON WRAP UP
The Saints end the 2019 season with an 8-10 overall record and a 5-4 WHAC record for fourth in the conference standings.