LIMA, Ohio -- The Siena Heights women's basketball team cruised to a 72-47 win over UNOH on the road on Wednesday night. Peyton Banks (Wadsworth, Ohio) led the Saints with 19 points in the winning effort. Banks' 19 points give her a career total of 1,075 to claim ninth in career points for the SHU women's basketball program.
Final Score: Siena Heights 72, UNOH 47
Location: Lima, Ohio (The Garage)
Records: Siena Heights (10-4, 7-3), UNOH (5-9, 2-9)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Saints jumped out to an early 10-2 lead in the first half of the opening quarter and never looked back. The Racers cut the SHU lead to six points, 15-9, at the end of the first quarter.
Back-to-back threes by the Saints extended the lead to 21-9 to start the second quarter. From there Siena Heights continued to build a larger lead, eventually holding a 39-10 advantage with 2:52 left in the half. When the teams entered the locker room for halftime, the Saints were on top 43-15.
Uncharacteristically for SHU, UNOH outscored the Saints 19-17 in the third quarter. Siena still remained in the lead, 60-34, as the game moved into the fourth quarter.
The final quarter of the game was spent with the Saints working to maintain the lead and leave Ohio with the win. The Racers again outscored SHU in the quarter, 13-12, but the deficit was too much for UNOH to mount any sort of comeback before the clock hit zeros.
• Banks shot 7-14 for the game and also hauled in seven rebounds, dished three assists, one steal, and a block.
• Savanah Gibson (Birch Run, Mich.) scored 12 points off the bench for the Saints. She shot 5-9 from the floor and 2-3 from three. She also tallied seven rebounds and an assist.
• Kelsey Wyman (Blissfield, Mich.) tallied 11 points and five assists to contribute to the win.
• Sha'kyia Parker (Grand Rapids, Mich.) was the final Siena Heights player to mount double-digit points with 11. She was responsible for three assists, two rebounds, and a steal.
• Shelby Morrow (Flushing, Mich.) had a game-high 10 rebounds and eight points.
• Jada Haines led the Racers with 16 points while Kalea Kruser had a team-high six rebounds.
The Saints return home for a game against Concordia (Mich.) on Saturday afternoon at 1:00 p.m., EST. That game is the first of the final three regular-season games for Siena Heights.