ADRIAN, Mich. -- The 14th-ranked Siena Heights women's basketball team rolled to an 85-67 win at the SHU Fieldhouse on Saturday evening. Demi Russell (Toledo, Ohio) was the leading scorer for the Saints with 28 points.
Final Score: Siena Heights 85, Lourdes 67
Location: Adrian, Michigan (SHU Fieldhouse)
Records: Siena Heights (22-2, 14-1 WHAC), Lourdes (8-16, 5-10 WHAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Saints jumped to a 14-3 lead and never looked back in the game. Rusell led the team in points while three other Saint players, Kiana Votava (Port Huron, Mich.), Peyton Banks (Wadsworth, Ohio), and Kelsey Wyman (Blissfield, Mich.) totaled double-digit points. Siena dominated the paint by outscoring the Grey Wolves 30-18 in that area of the floor. Lourdes outscored the Saints off the bench 26-17. Siena's largest lead of the game was 23 points and happened at the 4:13 mark of the second quarter. The Grey Wolves shrunk the lead to 15 points but the Saints proved to be too much.
Siena shot 28-61 (45.9%) from the floor, 10-25 (40%) from three, and 19-24 (79.2%) from the charity stripe. Lourdes shot 23-63 (36.5%) for the game, 11-31 (35.5%) from beyond the arc, and 10-16 (62.5%) from the free-throw line.
With the win, the Saints improve to 14-1 in conference play and remain atop the Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference (WHAC) standings with just five conference games remaining on the schedule. Lourdes falls to 5-10 in conference play and is currently in the bottom three WHAC tournament spots.
• Russell finished 11-17 from the floor. She hauled in five rebounds, had one assist, two steals, and a block.
• Banks added 13 rebounds to her stat line to register her 10th double-double of the season. She also contributed a team-high five assists.
• Votava was 4-7 shooting including a perfect 2-2 from beyond the arc. She pulled down 12 rebounds to complete a double-double, her first of the season.
• Wyman finished 6-13 from the floor. She hit three of her eight attempts from three-point land while a recorded two rebounds, four assists, a steal, and a block.
• Mary Liedel led the Grey Wolves with 15 points and seven rebounds. She also tied for a team-high three assists.
• Mirandia Green had 13 points, six rebounds, and an assist for her night.
• Sierena Pitts was the final Lourdes player with double-digit points at 12. She also pulled down four rebounds.
Siena travels to Grand Rapids, Michigan on Wednesday, February 5 to face Aquinas in a conference matchup. The game is scheduled to tip at 5:30 p.m., EST.