SYLVANIA, Ohio – The Siena Heights improve to 19-7 overall and 12-5 in Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference (WHAC) play with a 62-47 win on the road against Lourdes on Monday night. Alyssa Larson tallied her fourth double-double with 14 points and 12 rebounds in the game.
Final Score: (20) Siena Heights 62, Lourdes 47
Location: Sylvania, Ohio (Russell J. Ebeid Recreation Center)
Records: (20) Siena Heights (19-7, 12-5 WHAC), Lourdes (9-16, 4-12 WHAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Saints trailed 8-3 before eventually tying the game at 10 before taking the lead 13-12 with 3:07 remaining in the quarter. The Gray Wolves scored the final four points of the first to hold a 16-13 lead going into the second quarter.
A three-point jumper by Kiana Votava sparked an 8-0 run that gave the Saints a 21-16 lead with just under three minutes expired in the second quarter. Lourdes responded with a 9-0 run to regain the lead, 25-21, with 4:34 left before halftime. Four free throws by freshman Peyton Banks tied the score at 25 with 3:58 remaining in the quarter. Siena would score eight points for a 33-25 lead as both teams headed into the locker room.
Three free throws by Alyssa Larson put the Saints up by 11 points, the largest lead of the game, at the start of the third. A 7-0 run by the Gray Wolves cut Saint lead to just five points (40-35) with just over 2:30 left in the third stanza. A three-pointer by Peyton Banks increased the SHU lead to nine points, 45-36, with one minute left in the quarter. Lourdes would cut the deficit back to five with eight seconds left.
The Gray Wolves cut the Saint lead to just two points after a three-point jumper in the opening minute of the fourth. Jayshonna Blackshire made the first field goal in the final quarter to put the Saints up 48-45 with a little over five minutes remaining. Two three-pointers by Kiana Votava increased the lead to seven (54-47) with just 3:32 left. SHU made the final 11 points in the game to seal the victory.
• Kiana Votava tallied 18 points on 5-9 shooting for the game. She also dished two assists and hauled in a rebound.
• Peyton Banks also scored 18 points. She was 3-8 from the floor and 2-3 from beyond the arc while pulling down five boards.
• Alyssa Larson earned her fourth double-double of the season with a 14 point, 12 rebound performance.
• Jayshonna Blackshire finished with a game-high three assists and four steals along with four points.
• LaTyrah Beasley led the Gray Wolves with 13 points.
• Sydney Miller finished with 10 points.
• Ra'Zhane Newberry had eight rebounds.
The Saints host (3) Indiana Tech on Wednesday, February 6, 2019. The game is scheduled to tip-off at 6:00 p.m.