ADRIAN, Mich. -- The Siena Heights women's basketball team won 60-57 over Lawrence Tech in Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference (WHAC) action on Wednesday night at the SHU Fieldhouse. Demi Russell led the Saints with 15 points in the win.
Final Score: Siena Heights 60, Lawrence Tech 57
Location: Adrian, Michigan (SHU Fieldhouse)
Records: Siena Heights (16-5, 9-3 WHAC), Lawrence Tech (16-6, 8-4 WHAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Kiana Votava shot 2-3 from the floor and hit her only attempt from three-point territory to lead Siena with seven points in the first quarter. The Saints used a 7-0 run to earn a 14-6 lead with 3:22 left in the opening 10 minutes. The Blue Devils hit back-to-back three-point jumpers to put the score at 16-12 SHU at the conclusion of the first.
After the teams traded baskets at the start of the second quarter, Lawrence Tech used a 6-0 run to take a 20-18 lead with just over seven minutes remaining in the half. A layup by Haley Hoffman sparked a 6-0 run for the Saints that gave SHU a 29-24 lead into the half.
The Blue Devils started the second half with two three-point jumpers from Danielle Hanson that cut the Siena advantage to just one point (31-30). Addyson Tomczak responded for the Saints with a bomb from behind the arc that started a 13-0 run for Siena and resulted in the game's first double-digit lead with SHU up 44-30. Another 5-0 run just over a minute later increased the Saint advantage to 17 points (49-32). Lawrence Tech ended the third period with a 7-0 run to cut the Saint lead to just 10 going into the final quarter.
The Blue Devils dwindled the lead down in the fourth quarter with little spurts of points eventually tying the game at 55 with 2:58 left in regulation. Teryn Kline hit a layup following a made free throw from Russell to give LTU a 57-56 lead with a 1:33 on the clock. Russell responded with a layup with 26 seconds left to regain the lead (58-57) for Siena. The Saints got the defensive stop they needed to force Lawrence Tech to foul and Votava made the two free throws to seal the victory.
• Russell finished 6-12 from the floor and 3-4 from the free throw line while hauling in six rebounds.
• Tomczak scored 12 points with 4-10 shooting including 3-8 from three. She also pulled down six boards, had two steals, and an assist.
• Votava tallied 12 points, four rebounds, and an assist.
• Sharmaine Wills had a game-high 10 rebounds while scoring six points.
• Nicole Buckingham led LTU with 16 points and eight rebounds.
• Kendall Fisher recorded 14 points, eight rebounds, four assists, and four steals in the losing effort.
• Rachel Price had eight rebounds and two blocks on defense.
The Saints will stay at home to host UNOH in conference play on Saturday, January 19. Tip-off is scheduled for 5:30 p.m.