DEFIANCE, Ohio -- The Siena Heights women's basketball team suffered a 56-48 loss at Defiance on Friday afternoon. Peyton Banks was the leading scorer for the Saints with 13 points in the losing effort.
Final Score: Defiance 56, Siena Heights 48
Location: Defiance, Ohio (Karl H. Weaner Center)
Records: Defiance (3-8), Siena Heights (11-4)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Siena trailed 13-4 at the conclusion of the first quarter after a 2-13 shooting performance from the floor. The Saints rallied in the second quarter by outscoring Defiance 11-10 but still trailed 23-15 as both teams entered the locker room at halftime.
SHU continued to struggle in the third quarter, shooting 4-20 in the third and allowing the Yellow Jackets to lead 35-28 going into the fourth and final quarter of regulation. Both teams improved in the fourth as the Saints shot 8-18 from the floor while Defiance was 5-11.
The Saints 32 personal fouls in the game led to 30 free-throw attempts for the Yellow Jackets and was a huge factor in the outcome of the game.
• Banks shot 4-11 from the floor, 1-4 from beyond the arc, and 4-4 from the free-throw line to lead the Saints offense.
• Kiana Votava tallied 11 points and 12 rebounds for her first double-double of the season.
• Anaya Powell led the Saints with a game-high four steals.
• Lauren Rogers was the team's leading scorer with 19 points. She also hauled in eight rebounds.
• Kalyn Pickens scored 11 points and Taylor Day led the team with 11 rebounds.
The Saints return home to host Governors St. on Sunday, December 30. The game is scheduled to tip-off at 2:00 p.m.