FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- The Siena Heights women's basketball team bounced back from last night's loss to Waldorf with a dominating win over Briar Cliff this morning at the Cruzin Classic. The Saints won 82-67 in their final game at the classic before starting the trip to Mexico this afternoon. Haley Hoffman tallied a season-high 20 points to lead the Saints to victory.
Final Score: (RV) Siena Heights 82, Briar Cliff 67
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Records: (RV) Siena Heights (11-3), Briar Cliff (8-7)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Siena started the game with an 8-2 run to take the early advantage. The Saints achieved their first double-digit lead in the opening three minutes of the game after an 8-1 run put the score at 16-6 in favor of SHU. The lead would be cut to six points (20-14) at the end of the first quarter.
The Saints would build an 11-point lead with a 7-2 run to begin the second quarter. Siena would continue to maintain the advantage throughout the remainder of the first half, taking a 43-31 lead into the locker room at the half.
The Chargers battled back in the third quarter, cutting the deficit to just four points (55-51) with 3:43 left in the third stanza. However, the Saints would use a 6-2 run at the end of the quarter to hold a nine-point advantage (61-52) at the start of the final 10 minutes of regulation.
SHU would go on runs of 8-2, 5-0, and 8-0 to rebuild the double-digit lead it held for the majority of the contest and finish the game having never trailed at any point.
• Hoffman made seven of her 10 field goal attempts including two from three-point territory. She was also 4-5 from the free throw line.
• Alyssa Larson also tallied 20 points on 7-8 shooting and 6-7 from the charity stripe while pulling down five boards.
• Peyton Banks scored 14 points, all from the free throw line. She completed a double-double with a game-high 13 rebounds.
• Demi Russell finished with 10 points and seven rebounds in the win.
• Taylor Wagner led the Chargers with 18 points and three assists.
• Breanna Allen tallied 16 points in the losing effort.
• Alyssa Carley scored 11 points.
The Saints return to action on Friday, December 28 at Defiance for a 1:00 p.m. tip-off.