ADRIAN, Mich. -- The Siena Heights women's basketball team tallied its fifth consecutive win on Wednesday in a 58-51 home win over Concordia (Mich.). Alyssa Larson was the team's leading scorer and rebounder with 13 points and 13 rebounds off the bench. It is her first first double-double this season.
Final Score: Siena Heights 58, Concordia (Mich.) 51
Location: Adrian, Mich. (SHU Fieldhouse)
Records: Siena Heights (7-2, 3-2 WHAC), Concordia (0-7, 0-4 WHAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Cardinals started the game with a 5-0 run to take a quick lead in the opening three minutes of the first. The Saints would rally back to tie the game with their own 5-0 run with 5:52 left in the opening 10 minutes. With the game tied at 10, Demi Russell hit a free throw that sparked a 6-0 run for Siena that put the score at 16-10 when at the end of the quarter.
Concordia began the second quarter by scoring six of the first eight points to cut the SHU lead to just two points (18-16). Jerrica Neal gave the Cardinals a 22-21 lead with a three-point jumper with 2:54 left before halftime. The teams traded leads for the next few minutes before Haley Hoffman ended the half with a three-point jumper that gave the Saints the 28-26 lead at the half.
Siena started the third quarter with a 7-0 run that was started in the opening two minutes when Kiana Votava hit a layup to give the Saints a 35-26 lead. SHU would eventually build a 10-point advantage (38-28) with 2:57 left on the clock in the third. The period would end with the same deficit as the Saints led 42-32 at the conclusion of the quarter.
The Cardinals cut the deficit to three points with under two minutes left in regulation when Katie Snow hit a shot from beyond the arc to put the score at 51-48, Siena Heights. However, the Saints remained in the lead for the remainder of the game to grab the win.
• Larson was 3-9 from the floor and 7-14 from the free throw line in the game. She finished with two steals and a block credited to her stat line as well.
• Hoffman scored 12 points on 3-7 shooting from the floor and 2-5 from three while also pulling down seven rebounds. She added two assists and two steals in the game also.
• Votava was the only Saint starter to tally double-digit points with 10 on 4-7 shooting. She also contributed on defense with four rebounds.
• Katie Snow and Karlee Morris led the Cardinals with 12 and 10 points respectively.
• Averi Bebble had a game-high five assists.
• J'may Simmons totaled 10 rebounds in the losing effort.
The Saints will look to extend their winning streak to six this Saturday (Dec. 1) when they travel to face Northwestern Ohio in a Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference (WHAC) matchup at 1:00 p.m.