ADRIAN, Mich. -- The Siena Heights women's basketball team fell 72-65 to Michigan-Dearborn in the team's Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference home opener on Wednesday night. Kiana Votava (Junior, Port Huron, Mich.) was the leading point scorer for the Saints with 20.
Final Score: UM-Dearborn 72, Siena Heights 65
Location: Adrian, Michigan (SHU Fieldhouse)
Records: UM-Dearborn 72, Siena Heights 65
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Wolverines held a 17-14 lead at the end of the first quarter. SHU rallied to take a 22-21 lead with 7:01 remaining in the first half. Michigan-Dearborn tied the game with a made free throw before Haley Hoffman drilled a three-point basket to regain the lead. The Wolverines responded with a three of their own to retie the game but four-straight points from Kiana Votava put the Saints back on top 29-25. Michigan-Dearborn used back-to-back three-point jumpers to take a 33-31 lead with 3:16 left before halftime. SHU would take the lead 35-33 before Sade Lemons would make one of two free throw attempts to put the score at 35-34 as the teams entered the locker rooms for the intermission.
The third quarter proved to be the difference as the Saints shot 2-12 from the floor in the quarter, allowing the Wolverines to build a 53-46 lead. Siena cut the lead to just three points (56-53) with 5:05 remaining in regulation but UM-Dearborn would continue to maintain the lead for the remainder of the game.
• Votava was 6-12 from the floor and a perfect 8-8 from the free throw line to lead the Saints offensively. She also hauled in five rebounds in the game.
• Alyssa Larson tallied 15 points off the bench on 7-13 shooting from the floor. She also led the team with nine rebounds.
• Sharmaine Wills pulled down seven boards and scored five points in the losing effort.
• Ro'Zhane Wells and Sade Lemons led the Wolverines with 17 points each. Lemons led Michigan-Dearborn with nine rebounds.
• Jeorgia Jones and Kayla Knight each recorded seven rebounds respectively.
The Saints travel to face Cornerstone in a WHAC matchup on Saturday, November 17. The game is scheduled for a 3:30 p.m. tipoff.