GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. -- The Siena Heights women's basketball team suffered its first loss of the season at the hands of Aquinas on Thursday night in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Sharmaine Wills was one rebound short of a double-double while scoring 10 points in the losing effort.
Final Score: Aquinas 59, Siena Heights 55
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan (Sturrus Center)
Records: Aquinas (3-2, 1-0 WHAC), Siena Heights (2-1, 1-1 WHAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Both teams got off to a slow start as the score remained in the single digits for much of the first quarter. With down by one with 3:30 left in the opening quarter, Kiana Votava hit a layup to put the Saints up 7-6 before Peyton Banks increased the lead to four with a three-point jumper on the next possession to spark a 9-2 run that gave SHU a 14-8 lead at the end of the first.
Siena achieved the only double-digit lead of the game in the second quarter. The Saints used built a 22-10 lead in the opening five minutes of the quarter. Aquinas hit back-to-back threes and a layup to cut the lead to four with 4:21 left before half. The teams would trade baskets the rest of the half with Siena taking a 27-22 lead into the locker room at halftime.
The Saints would keep a lead all through the third quarter, but Aquinas would keep the deficit in the single digits. The quarter ended with SHU leading 44-37 over the host Saints.
Aquinas retook the lead with 6:38 remaining in the game when Bri Spica hit a jump shot that put the score at 45-44 in favor of the home team. That shot was the 10th point in a 13-0 run that went back to the end of the third quarter. At the end of the run, Aquinas held a 48-44 lead with just 5:50 remaining in regulation. The score remained close for the remainder of the game, but Aquinas never relinquished the lead again.
• Wills was 3-7 from the floor and 4-4 from the free throw line to lead the Saints.
• Demi Russell also tallied 10 points on 3-6 shooting. She hauled in three rebounds and a steal in the losing effort.
• Peyton Banks and Votava each tallied six rebounds and six points in the game. Votava also led the team in assists with two.
• Keeley Hinton was the leading scorer for the home team with 16 points.
• Hannah Brefeld and Carley Andrews had a team-high seven rebounds.
• Andrews also led the team in assists with four.
The Saints return home for the Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference (WHAC) home opener against Michigan-Dearborn on Wednesday, November 14. Tip-off is scheduled for 6:00 p.m.