MARION, IND. -- The Siena Heights softball team lost 4-1 to top-seeded Oregon Tech in game two of the Marion Bracket of the NAIA Opening Round Tournament. Ashley Helmink led the Saints offense with two hits in four at-bats in the losing effort.
Final Score: Oregon Tech 4, Siena Heights 1
Location: Marion, Ind. (Softball Field)
Records: Oregon Tech (42-15), Siena Heights (35-15)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The score remained scoreless through the first three innings of the game. Ashley Helmink led off the 4th-inning for the Saints with a single to shallow left field. She moved to second on a stolen base and then to third on a single by Kelsey Uhl. A throwing error by the Oregon Tech catcher allowed Helmink to cross the plate and Saints took a 1-0 lead.
A Siena Height error gave the Owls a base to lead off the bottom of the 4th-inning. The runner advanced to second base on a fielder's choice that put runners on both first and second base. A single loaded the bases for Oregon Tech before a double to left-center field scored two runs to give the Owls a 2-1 lead. A third run crossed home plate on a ground out to second base to put Oregon Tech up 3-1.
Andrea Sotelo gave the Owls their fourth run in the 5th-inning with a home run over the left field fence. The Saints failed to get back on the board before the end of the 7th-inning.
• Helmink was the leading hitter, going 2-4 at the plate while scoring the only Saint run in the game.
• Ward pitched her 22nd complete game in the loss. She allowed three earned runs and struck out one Owl in the game.
• Maddie Deverna led Oregon Tech with two RBIs as she was 1-3 at the plate.
• Andrea Sotelo hit a home run in a 1-3 showing. Cierra Barkis and Logan Nunes also had a hit in the win.
• Sarah Abramson recorded the win, giving up six hits and striking out 10 Saints.
Siena Heights will face the third-seed, Central Baptist, in the first elimination tomorrow (May 14) at 1:30 p.m.