ADRIAN, Mich. -- The Siena Heights softball team split with league-leading Madonna on Wednesday afternoon. The Saints dropped the first game 2-1 in nine innings before pulling out a 4-1 in the nightcap. Taylor Mowery led Siena to the 4-1 win in game two with two hits and an RBI. The win in game two gave the Saints their 30th win of the season. It's the first time during Coach Klutsarits's tenure that Siena Heights softball has hit the 30-win mark in a season and it is the first time since 1996.
Final Scores: Game 1: Madonna 2, Siena Heights 1 (9 innings) / Game 2: Siena Heights 4, Madonna 1
Location: Adrian, Michigan
Records: Siena Heights (30-14, 14-6 WHAC), Madonna (30-12, 14-4 WHAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Game 1: Madonna defeats Siena Heights, 2-1 (9 innings)
The game remained scoreless through the first six innings of play. The Crusaders got on the board first with a double to left field that brought a runner home for the 1-0 lead with only a half inning left in regulation. Siena knotted things up after back-to-back wild pitches brought Ashley Bearden home from second base.
The next run was the last, as a sacrifice fly in the top of the 9th-inning scored a Madonna runner to put the score at 2-1.
Game 2: Siena Heights def. Madonna, 4-1
The Crusaders took a 1-0 lead in the second game as well. This time a single to right center scored a run in the top half of the 3rd-inning.
Mowery scored Bearden for an insurance run in the 6th-inning with a single to right center. A Crusader error allowed a second run to score in the inning and extended the SHU lead to three runs (4-1).
• Mowery's two hits in game two led all batters on both sides. She also scored two runs in the game.
• Ward (L, 15-8) pitched her 18th complete game in game one. She allowed seven hits and two earned runs while striking out three batters in 9.0 innings pitched.
• Uhl (W, 12-6) finished her 10th complete game of the season. She gave up two hits and one earned run on her way to her 12th win of 2019.
• Brooklyn Dolloff led the Crusaders in the first game with two hits. She also scored a run in the game.
• Sarah Holton tallied the lone RBI for Madonna in game two.
• Madisen Henry (W, 11-7) pitched all nine innings in game one. She gave up four hits and struck out six Saint batters.
• Ciera Jones (L, 14-5) pitched 5.2 innings and allowed nine hits and three earned runs while striking out three batters in the losing effort.
The Saints wrap up the regular season on Saturday, April 27 on the road against Indiana Tech. The first game of the doubleheader is scheduled to begin at 12:00 p.m.