ADRIAN, Mich. -- The Siena Heights softball team dropped two games to Adrian College on Thursday afternoon both games ended with a one-run difference. Despite the losses, Ashley Helmink extended her hit streak to 16 games including three hits in the first game against the Bulldogs.
Final Scores: Game 1: Adrian 5, Siena Heights 4 | Game 2: Adrian 4, Siena Heights 3
Location: Adrian, Michigan (Christensen Memorial Softball Field)
Records: Adrian (12-6), Siena Heights (17-7)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Game 1: Adrian def. Siena Heights, 5-4
The Bulldogs regained the lead in the fifth with an RBI single. They would extend the lead in the 6th-inning with three runs to put things at 5-1. Lily Guerra blasted a homer over the left field fence to start the Saint rally in the sixth. Helmink crossed the plate to cut the Adrian lead to two runs before Hayley Turk singled to bring Lauren Valdez home for a 5-4 deficit. The rally felt short there as the Bulldogs were able to hold on and get the final two outs to get out of the inning.
Game 2: Adrian def. Siena Heights, 4-3
Adrian hopped out to a 2-0 lead in the 1st-inning. Boland singled up the middle to scored a run to put the score at 2-1. Kristi Carlson gave the Saints the lead with a two-RBI single for a 3-2 edge.
The Bulldogs would tie things up in the 5th-inning after a wild pitch scored the runner on third. Adrian took the final lead of the day with a home run to left field at the top of the 7th-inning.
TOP SAINT HITTERS
• Helmink finished game one with three hits and two runs. She tallied one hit in game two to preserve her hit streak while also crossing the plate in that game as well.
• Guerra (2-for-4, HR) and Ward (2-for-4) each tallied two hits in game one and two for a total of four on the day. They both finished game one with an RBI and Guerra also had a run.
• Taylor Mowery and Turk each recorded a hit in game one.
• Ward (L, 8-3) was credited with the loss in both games on the day. She pitched all seven innings in game one while allowing seven hits and five earned runs. She struck out three Bulldogs in the game. For game two she pitched two innings and allowed a hit and an earned run while striking out a batter.
• Lauren Valdez got the start in the circle for game two. She pitched 5.0 innings, allowing four hits and three earned runs while striking out one batter.
• Infinity Rogers had two hits in game one.
• Destiny Rogers led the Bulldogs with two RBIs in game one.
• Jamie Bell and Katie Connolly each tallied two hits in game two. Connolly led Adrian with two RBIs.
• Natalie Williams (W, 2-1) got the start in the first game. She gave up eight hits, two earned runs, and a home run. She struck out two.
• Emily Baldus (W, 2-1) earned the save in game one with 1.2 innings pitched. Baldus earned the win in game two after pitching the final four innings.
• Paige Cubberly started for Adrian in the circle. She pitched three innings and gave up three earned runs.
The Saints get a day off before hosting Michigan-Dearborn in a conference doubleheader on Saturday, March 30. The first game starts at 1:00 p.m.