ADRIAN, Mich. -- The Siena Heights men's volleyball team topped crosstown rival Adrian College 3-1 in the Merillat Sport and Fitness Center on the campus of Adrian College. Alex Garavalia (Kouts, Ind.) had a career night with a career-high 21 kills to lead the Saints to victory.
Final Score: Siena Heights 3, Adrian 1 (20-25, 25-18, 25-16, 25-19)
Location: Adrian, Michigan (MSFC)
Records: Siena Heights (1-1), Adrian (2-4)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Saints surrendered a 1-0 lead to the Bulldogs after a 25-20 defeat in set one. Siena Heights struggled to serve in the opening set as eight of the team's 11 total service errors came during the first.
Siena Heights tied the match at one game each after a more convincing 25-18 win in the second set. The Saints improved their hitting percentage with a .340 team mark.
SHU pulled ahead in the third with the largest margin in a 25-16 decision. Both teams also had their highest hitting mark of the match, SHU with .433 and AC with .286.
Both teams matched each other in the fourth set with their lowest hitting percentage. The Saints hit .079 while the Bulldogs logged a .026. Despite the low hitting mark, Siena won the match with a 25-19 set-four advantage.
• Kevin Gomez (La Estrella, Colombia) tallied a double-double with 12 kills and 15 digs.
• Bryce Johnson (Pickerington, Ohio) recorded 11 kills.
• Keegan Crawford (Columbus, Ohio) also registered a double-double with 44 assists and 11 digs.
• Three Adrian players had nine kills to lead the team in that category.
• Andrew Gawrisch paced the attack with 38 assists.
The Saints return to action on Friday, February 19 at home against Indiana Tech with a Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference (WHAC) match. The first serve is set for 5:00 p.m., EST.