SYLVANIA, OHIO -- The Siena Heights men's volleyball team dropped a 3-1 decision to sixth-ranked Lourdes on Saturday afternoon. Keegan Crawford (Columbus, Ohio) finished with a 36-assist, 10-dig double-double to lead the Saints in the losing effort.
Final Score: Lourdes 3, Siena Heights 1 (25-16, 23-25, 27-25, 25-17)
Location: Sylvania, Ohio (Ebeid Rec Center)
Records: Lourdes (12-2, 4-1 WHAC), Siena Heights (13-7, 3-2 WHAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Gray Wolves used a 7-0 run to pull ahead 13-8 on the way to a 25-16 win in the opening set for the 1-0 lead. The Saints struggled on the attack with their only negative hitting percentage of the match in the first set.
Siena stayed right with Lourdes throughout the second set and built a 19-14 lead late. The Saints were able to maintain the advantage throughout and pull out a 25-23 decision to tie the score at one game apiece.
The Gray Wolves used a 3-0 run to take a 5-4 lead but Siena responded with a 4-0 run to recapture the lead, 9-6. Lourdes eventually tied things up at 13 but two spurts of points from the Saints had them up 17-14. With a 23-20 advantage to SHU, the Gray Wolves tallied four of the next five points to tie the score 24 and force extra points. Lourdes took a 25-24 lead, but Siena hung tough and knotted things at 25 before the Gray Wolves tallied the final two points in the third to take a 2-1 lead.
The Saints kept things close in the fourth set, trailing Lourdes 12-11. The Gray Wolves recorded six of the next seven points to build an 18-12 lead and SHU could not catch up.
• Bryce Johnson (Pickerington, Ohio) led the Saints with 11 kills. He also added six digs and a block to his totals.
• Kevin Gomez (La Estrella, Colombia) contributed eight kills, nine digs, and two blocks.
• Crawford added four kills and two blocks to his stat line.
• Emilier De Jesus led Siena with 17 digs while finishing with three assists.
• Ricardo Gehrke had a match-high 23 kills in the win.
• Henrique Gehrke totaled 60 assists and 14 digs.
• Guga Heidrich had a match-high 22 digs.
The Saints will stay on the road and face another ranked WHAC opponent on Wednesday, February 26. Siena will face #10 Aquinas at 7:00 p.m., EST.