ADRIAN, Mich. -- The Siena Heights men's volleyball team defeated Robert Morris (Ill.) in straight sets on Friday night at the SHU Fieldhouse. Emilier De Jesus (Chesterton, Ind.) had a match-high 10 digs and two service aces to lead the Saints in the win.
Final Score: Siena Heights 3, RMU 0 (25-13, 25-20, 25-14)
Location: Adrian, Michigan (SHU Fieldhouse)
Records: Siena Heights (7-8), RMU (0-7)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Eagles struggled to hit the ball on the service and the attack for the majority of the match. Three-straight service errors spotted the Saints three points in the first set on the way to a 9-4 lead that forced a Robert Morris (Ill.) timeout. Two attack errors pushed the Siena Heights lead to 11-4 and contributed to a 4-0 run for SHU coming out of the break. A kill Marc Arsenault (Plainfield, Ill.) grew the lead to double-digits and firmly secured the 1-0 lead for host Saints.
Service errors at inopportune times hurt Robert Morris (Ill.) in the second set. The first error came on the opening service for the Eagles that tied the score at one. The next four helped maintain a two-point lead for Siena Heights. The sixth and final service error gave the Saints a 23-20 lead before two attack errors ended the set at 25-20 and gave SHU the 2-0 lead.
Much like the second set, the Eagles continued to give the Saints free points including six off service errors. Siena's defensive play along with the errors by RMU throughout the match held Robert Morris (Ill.) to .051 team attack percentage. The Saints finished with a .266 percentage for the match. They hit for a staggering .526 in the third set to close out the night.
• Freshman Jacob Pickett (Carmel, Ind.) led Siena with eight kills (.899). He also tallied an assist and a block in the winning effort.
• Senior Keegan Crawford (Columbus, Ohio) tallied 22 assists, three kills, and three digs to contribute toward the win.
• Freshman Bradley Johnson (Pickerington, Ohio) led the team with two blocks while adding a kill, three assists, a service ace, and a dig off the bench.
• Kevin Gomez (senior, La Estrella, Colombia) had six kills, four assists, and six digs.
• Bryce Johnson (Pickerington, Ohio) and Arsenault each totaled five kills. Johnson also added five digs while Arsenault tallied one.
• Jordan Con Borstel led the Eagles with eight kills.
• Charles Norman paced the RMU attack with 21 assists.
• Conrad Para finished with nine digs while Joe Claffy had four blocks.
The Saints head across town tomorrow night to face in town rival Adrian College in the Merillat Sport and Fitness Center at 7:00 p.m., EST.