ADRIAN, Mich. -- The Siena Heights men's volleyball team defeated Cumberland (Tenn.) in three straight sets before a three-game rally by Lincoln (Ill.) ended the second match with a 3-2 loss for the Saints in the nightcap. Keegan Crawford was big for Siena as he registered a triple-double with 10 kills, 45 assists, and 11 digs in the second match.
Final Scores: Game 1: Siena Heights 3, Cumberland 0 (25-16, 25-16, 25-22) | Game 2: Lincoln 3, Siena Heights 2 (22-25, 18-25, 25-22, 25-18, 15-11)
Location: Adrian, Michigan (SHU Fieldhouse)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Game 1: Siena Heights def. Cumberland, 3-0
The Saints used sets of 10 kills (.348), 13 kills (.414), and 10 kills (.132) to sweep the Phoenix in the first game of the Siena Heights men's volleyball tournament. Alex Garavalia and Evan Cashen each tallied eight kills in the match to lead SHU to the win. Emmanual Chaidez totaled seven block assists in the match as the Saints cruised to a victory.
Cumberland totaled double-digit kills in every set, but the team just couldn't keep pace with Siena.
Game 2: Lincoln def. Siena Heights, 3-2
The Saints jumped to a 2-0 lead after wins of 25-22 and 25-18 in the opening two sets. The Lynx attack struggled in the second set as they finished with nine attack errors and only seven kills for a negative team hitting percentage.
Lincoln turned things around in the third set with a slim 25-22 victory to cut the Siena lead to 2-1. The Lynx had a match-high 19 kills in the third on their way to the decision.
The fourth set was even better for the visiting team as they totaled 18 kills and only three errors for a match-high hitting percentage (.333) and a 25-18 victory to force a decisive fifth set.
In the final set, Lincoln held the Saints to just six kills to hold onto the come from behind win. Both teams totaled 53 blocks in the match.
• Crawford finished the night with 12 kills, 71 assists, 17 digs, and nine blocks.
• Garavalia totaled 11 kills against Lincoln for a total of 19 kills on the day. He also contributed on defense with 10 digs and six blocks.
• Emilier De Jesus led the Saint defense with 28 digs between the two matches, 24 of which came against the Lynx.
• Kevin Gomez registered 14 kills against Lincoln and four against the Phoenix.
• Jordan Pierce led the Phoenix with 10 kills and 15 assists.
• Lincoln's offense was powered by Charles Carter with 17 kills. Nick Washington (30 assists) and Bryan Orellana (24) paced the Lynx attack while Deantrius Coleman finished with eight blocks.
The Saints open day two with a 10:00 a.m. matchup against Goshen before ending the day against Morningside at 2:00 p.m.