ADRIAN, MICH. -- The Siena Heights men's volleyball team split on day two of the Michigan Men's Volleyball Invitational hosted by Adrian College. The Saints fell to Aquinas in straight sets to open the day before sweeping the host Bulldogs to finish the tournament. Alex Garavalia led the Saints with 24 kills and seven blocks on the day.
Final Scores: Game 1: Aquinas 3, Siena Heights 0 (25-21, 25-22, 25-18) | Game 2: Siena Heights 3, Adrian 0 (25-17, 26-24, 25-22)
Location: Adrian, Michigan (Merillat Sports and Fitness Center)
Records: Siena Heights (3-1), Adrian (2-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The teams traded points throughout the majority of the first set. Aquinas took the first significant lead (17-14) late in a set that saw the score tied 13 times before pulling out a 25-21 win to take the 1-0 lead.
SHU continued to keep the score close in the second set, but Aquinas was able to hold on for the 25-22 decision and the 2-0 lead.
The third and set saw Aquinas close out the match as the defense held Siena to a zero on the team hitting percentage in a 25-18 win.
The Saints hit .296 in the opening set against Adrian to pull out the 25-17 win and take a 1-0 lead.
The Bulldogs kept things close in the second set as Siena needed extra points to edge AC 26-24 and earn the 2-0 lead.
The third set had 12 ties and three lead changes before Siena finished things off to complete the sweep with a 25-22 set decision.
• Garavalia had 15 of his 24 kills and four of his seven blocks against Adrian.
• Bryce Johnson led SHU with eight kills against Aquinas before finishing with seven against the Bulldogs for a total of 17 on the day. He also tallied 11 digs as well as tying for a team-leading seven total blocks for the afternoon.
• Even Cashen played well against the Bulldogs with seven kills on the way to a total of 13.
• Keegan Crawford totaled 62 assists to set the tone for the Saint attack. 35 assists came against Adrian alone.
• Aquinas was led by Zane Moothart with 19 kills and 11 digs, Colby Elder with 40 assists, and Will Donald with five blocks.
• Tedrick Gula led the Bulldogs with 11 kills, Joseph Campana finished with 28 assists, Kevin Curley had 12 digs, Michael Burkhardt and Mike Gold each had five blocks.
The Saints will host Lawrence Tech on Wednesday, January 23 at 7:00 p.m. for the Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference (WHAC) home opener.