Aug 25, 2018
Palos Heights, Ill. – The Siena Heights University men's soccer team won their season opener 1-0 vs Trinity Christian on Saturday afternoon. Justin Gray (Senior, Fraser, Mich.) scored the game-winning goal in the eighth minute of the contest.
Final Score: Siena Heights University 1, Trinity Christian College (Ill) 0
Location: Palos Heights, Illinois
Records: Siena Heights University (1-0), Trinity Christian College (0-2)
How it Happened
The Saints strong defense held throughout the game as they only allowed the Trolls to register 2 shots on goal. Offensively, Siena outpaced Trinity Christian 8-3 in shots on goal.
The Trolls started the game quickly, registering two quick shots, neither of which made it on goal. The Saints responded with their first shot of the game, Gray's goal, beating the Trolls goalkeeper, Mathis Muller, to give SHU the 1-0 advantage. Senior Brent Rodden (Taylor, Mich.) assisted on the play.
Siena continued to put the ball on net as six other Saints were able to put shots on goal.
• Gray finished the day with two shots on goal to lead the Saints in the win.
• Rodden tallied the only assist of the game along with a shot on goal.
• Junior keeper, Leo Hisamatsu (Osaka, Japan) (W, 1-0) made three saves to start the 2018 season with a shutout victory.
• Leading the Trolls today was Alejandro Sotelo and Feka Timmersman who each had 2 shots in the game
• In goal the Trolls, Mathis Muller made 7 saves and earned the loss
Siena Heights will remain on the road for their next contest. They will be at Marian (Ind.) on Wednesday, August 29th. Kickoff is scheduled for 7:30 P.M. EST.