BEVERLY HILLS, Mich. -- The sixth-ranked Siena Heights men's lacrosse lost a 16-15 heartbreaker on the road against Michigan-Dearborn to begin play in the Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference (WHAC). Alex Gilbert was a force on the offensive end with seven goals and three assists.
Final Score: UM-Dearborn 16, Siena Heights 15
Location: Beverly Hills, Michigan (Det. Country Day FH)
Records: Michigan-Dearborn (1-4, 1-0 WHAC), Siena Heights (2-3, 0-1 WHAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Michigan-Dearborn held Siena scoreless in the first quarter as they took a huge 7-0 lead into the second. Danny Kreitzer scored off an assist from Hunter Zieman to put the Saints on the board in the opening two minutes of the second quarter. Alex Gilbert scored back-to-back goals following another Wolverine score to put the score at 8-3 with just under seven minutes left in the first half. Another UM-Dearborn goal pushed the lead to 9-4 before Kreitzer scored again to put cut the deficit to four goals as both teams entered the locker room.
The Wolverines tallied three goals to start the second half and push the lead to 12-5. Ryan Mamo netted a goal from Gilbert to bring Siena Heights within six. The teams would trade two more goals in the third to put the score at 14-8 going into the final 15 minutes. Kreitzer, Gilbert (Jake Gallaher), and Mamo (Gallaher) each scored in the fourth quarter to cut the deficit to three goals (14-11) with 5:51 left in the game. UM-Dearborn tallied one goal before the Saints late push gave the team four straight goals to tie the game at 14 with just 25 seconds left in regulation but the Wolverines would respond with the game-winning goal with just 19 seconds left on the clock.
• Gilbert tallied eight shots on goal to score seven times and dish three assists. He also scooped up three ground balls.
• Kreitzer registered a hat-trick with four goals. He also recorded two ground balls.
• Mamo finished with three goals and two ground balls in the losing effort.
• Alex McCarthy (L, 1-1) made 19 saves in net for the Saints.
• Devon Callaghan scored seven times for the Wolverines.
• Adam Ranck completed a hat-trick with the game-winning goal while also passing four assists.
• Liam Turner (W, 1-2) made 12 saves in the win.
The Saints will return home to host Aquinas on Wednesday, March 27. The game is scheduled to start at 7:00 p.m. EDT, and is the Siena Heights WHAC home opener.