ADRIAN, Mich. -- The #6 Siena Heights men's lacrosse team defeated (RV) Missouri Baptist 10-3 on Thursday night at O'Laughlin Stadium to improve to a 2-1 record in 2019. Freshman goalie Vinnie Jean (W, 1-1) made 18 saves in the game to lead a stingy Saint defense in the win.
Final Score: Siena Heights 10, Missouri Baptist 3
Location: Adrian, Michigan (O'Laughlin Stadium)
Records: Siena Heights (2-1), Missouri Baptist (2-4)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Siena scored four goals in the opening quarter while holding Missouri Baptist scoreless. The Spartans got on the board in the second quarter with two goals in the opening three minutes of the period. Both teams were held scoreless through the second until Jake Gallaher tallied two scores in just over a minute to pull the Saints further ahead, 6-2. Ryan Mamo tallied a score in the final 10 seconds before halftime to increase the SHU lead to five goals.
Alex Gilbert scored both goals in the third to increase the Saint lead to 9-2. Just like the first quarter, Siena Heights held Missouri Baptist scoreless in the third. Jean was huge in the third stanza for the Saints as he made eight stops in goal to keep the Spartans off the board. MBU scored the first goal of the final quarter with just 5:15 left in regulation. Gallaher would net his fourth in the final two minutes and the Saints defense would stiffen up once more to close out the game.
• Gallaher scored four times and had one assist on six shots on goal. He also scooped up two ground balls and caused a turnover in the win.
• Alex Gilbert scored twice and also had a ground ball.
• Ryan Mamo beat the goalie twice while also dishing two assists in the game.
• Andy Coulter, Garrett McKelvie, and Sean Hess each scored for the Spartans.
• Noah Campbell led the team with three ground balls.
Siena remains at home to host another school from Missouri when the Vikings of Missouri Valley visit SHU on Saturday, March 16. The game is scheduled to begin at 12:00 p.m. EDT.