ADRIAN, Mich. -- The Siena Heights men's basketball team earned their first win of the 2020-21 season in the final seconds of the game against WHAC opponent UNOH on Friday night. Kevin Rice (Sr. | Detroit, Mich.) led the Saints with a team-high of 25 points, a team-high of five steals, nine rebounds, one assist, and one block.
Final Score: Siena Heights 56, UNOH 54
Location: Adrian, Mich. | SHU Fieldhouse
Records: Siena Heights (1-4, 1-3 WHAC), UNOH (0-9, 0-7 WHAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Racers started the game with an 8-3 run as Isaac Golson Jr drained a three-point shot at the 16:25 mark. The Saints answered back as they went on an 8-0 run to put them in the lead 19-16 that was sparked by a jumper from Bryce Armstrong (Jr. | Ecorse, Mich.) and ended with a layup from Rice with 9:03 left in the half. UNOH rallied as they had an 8-0 run at the 5:51 mark with a layup from Hunter Bode that put them in the lead 24-19. A pair of free-throws from Curtis Bell III (Jr. | St. Paul, Minn.) could have cut the deficit to one point for Siena but was not able to make it happen. The Racers finished the half with a 6-0 run and Isaac Golson Jr making a buzzer-beater layup to put them in the lead 30-21 at half-time.
The Saints came out in the second half with a 12-4 run that started with a three-point shot from Joshua Moody (So. | Detroit, Mich.) and ended with a three-pointer from Rice to cut the margin to one point (34-33). Siena tied the game 37-37 with a jumper from Elijah Kimmons (Fr. | Madison, Wis.) with 12:42 left of play. The remainder of the half consisted of each team exchanging possessions as the lead between either team was no more than five points as UNOH earned the 50-45 lead from a jumper by Bailey Gardner. A layup and a pair of free-throws by Bell tied the game at 54's with 1:57 left in the game. A Racer foul allowed Bell to score another pair of free-throws to put them in the lead 56-54 with 26 seconds left on the clock. The final push for UNOH came up short earning SHU the win.
• Rice went 11-19 from the floor and 3-5 from beyond the arch.
• Bell earned 11 points, a team-high of 10 rebounds, two assists, and four steals. He went 3-4 from the floor and 4-8 from the charity stripe.
• Moody tallied eight points, four rebounds, a team-high of three assists. He went 3-8 from the floor and 2-3 on three-point attempts.
• Hunter Bode has a team-high of 14 points, 12 rebounds, and two steals. He went 6-11 from the floor and 2-2 on free-throw attempts.
• Isaac Golson Jr recorded 12 points, one rebound, and one steal. he went 4-15 from the floor, 2-7 from beyond the arch, and 2-2 from the charity stripe.
• Bailey Gardner and Cedric Delancy Jr respectively tallied eight points.
The Saints stay at home for a Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference (WHAC) matchup against Lawrence Tech on Sunday, February 7th at 2:00 PM.