FORT WAYNE, Ind. -- The Siena Heights men's basketball team dropped a road conference game to Indiana Tech on Sunday afternoon to open the first week of WHAC play 0-3. Kevin Rice (Sr. | Detroit, Mich.) led the Saints with a team-high of 28 points, five rebounds, one block, and one steal.
Final Score: Indiana Tech 82, Siena Heights 62
Location: Fort Wayne, Ind. (Schaefer Center)
Records: Indiana Tech (12-7, 3-1 WHAC), Siena Heights (0-4, 0-3 WHAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Warriors jumped out with a 9-3 run as Max Perez drained a three-point shot at the 16-minute mark. Indiana Tech gained some cushion as they earned a 9-point lead (21-12) that lasted till 10 minutes left in the half. The Saints rallied as they went on a 11-3 run that ended with a three-pointer from Rice that cut the deficit to one point (22-21). The remainder of the half was back and forth as the teams exchanged possessions, but Indiana Tech had a 14-5 run that sent the game into intermission with the game in their favor 43-33.
The Warriors came out hot in the second half and never looked back as they went on a 16-4 run that was sparked by a layup made by Lucas Lehrman and ended with a three-point shot made by Cory Mckinney with 13 minutes left. Brendan Williamson (Fr. | Center Grove, Ind.) made a pair of free-throws for SHU to update the score to 65-42 where it would stay for three minutes. Siena gained some momentum as they went on a 10-6 run sparked by a pair of layups by Curtis Bell III (Jr. | St. Paul, Minn.) to update the score 75-50 with seven minutes left in the half. It wasn't enough to stop Indiana Tech as they outshot SHU the remainder of the half to secure the 82-62 win.
• Rice went 11-20 from the floor, 2-6 from beyond the arc, and 4-6 from the charity stripe.
• Bell III tallied eight points, a team-high of eight rebounds, a team-high of five assists, and one steal.
• Dominique Cole (Fr. | Toledo, Ohio) earned seven points, six rebounds, and one assist.
• Grant Smith led the Warriors with a team-high of 19 points, a team-high of six rebounds, and one block. He went 7-15 from the floor, 4-5 on three-point attempts, and 1-1 on free-throw attempts.
• Lucas Lehrman tallied 17 points, five rebounds, and two assists.
• Cory McKinney earned 10 points, three rebounds, and three assists
• Josh Kline had a team-high of six rebounds.
The Saints return home for a Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference (WHAC) contest against Lourdes on Wednesday, February 3rd at 8:00 PM.