ADRIAN, Mich. -- The Siena Heights men's basketball team (0-1) began the season suffering an 81-70 loss against Grace College on Tuesday night. Kevin Rice (Sr. | Detroit, Mich.) led the Saints as he earned a double-double on the night with 19 points and 10 rebounds.
Final Score: Grace College 81, Siena Heights 70
Location: Adrian, Michigan (SHU Fieldhouse)
Records: Grace College (3-0), Siena Heights (0-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Lancers jumped out to a 9-0 lead in the first three minutes of the game sparked by a layup by Cade Gibbs. The Saints chipped away ad they cut the deficit to seven points off a pair of free throws from Rice at the 14:45 mark. Grace would regain a double-digit lead (22-10) as Matt Jennings made a layup. SHU gained momentum as they earned the closest of margins only down by four points (28-24) after Jace Norton (So. | Portland, Oregon) drained a three-point shot with 8:45 left in the first half. The Lancers pulled away with a six-point lead (34-28) as a jumper was good by Frankie Davidson. Siena regained the lead (39-38) as they scored eight straight points off of a layup by Rice, a three-pointer by Norton, and a three-pointer by Joshua Moody (So. | Detroit, Mich.) to push the game into intermission.
The beginning of the second half was back and forth as both teams exchanged possessions. The Saints rallied as they earned an eight-point lead (56-48) as Jordan Wyckoff (R-Sr. | Detroit, Mich.) made a pair of free throws at the 13:26 mark. Grace re-took the lead (59-58) as C. Gibbs drained a three-point shot with 9:15 left in the game. The Lancers earned a cushion as they scored nine straight points sparked by Jennings making three free-throws and Haden Deaton making a layup for the 72-60 lead. SHU pushed to keep the game within reach as Elijah Kimmons (Fr. | Madison, Wisconsin) made a three-pointer to keep the score to single digits but it wasn't enough as Grace pulled away and was able to earn the 81-70 win.
• Rice hauled in two assists and one block in addition to his double-double. He went 7-18 from the floor and 5-6 from the charity stripe.
• Norton went 4-6 on shooting scoring 13 points in his career debut with the Saints. He went 4-6 beyond the arch and 1-2 from the free-throw line while hauling in three rebounds, one assist, and one steal.
• Moody scored nine points. He went 3-6 from the floor, 1-2 on three-pointers, and 2-2 from the charity stripe.
• Wright scored six points and hauled in one rebound in his debut in a Saint uniform.
• Armstrong scored eight points and tallied four rebounds, one assist, and three steals in his first collegiate action for the Saints.
• Cole saw 11 minutes of action in the game in his debut for SHU.
• Williamson saw 13 minutes of action while earning one assist and steal to start his career.
• Kimmons scored nine points and played in 15 minutes of the game.
• Delmotte saw five minutes of action in his debut for Siena.
• Jennings led the team in points with 26 on 10-14 shooting. He made 6-8 from the charity stripe while hauling in six rebounds, and four assists.
• Gibbs went 5-7 on shooting scoring 16 points. He went 5-6 from the free-throw line while tallying three rebounds, one assist, and two steals.
• Davidson earned himself a double-double on the game as he scored 11 points and recorded 11 rebounds. He earned three assists, one steal, and one block.
The Saints will travel to face cross-town rival Adrian College on Tuesday, November 24th at 7:00 p.m., EST.