DAVENPORT, Iowa -- The Siena Heights football team scored 20 unanswered points to defeat Saint Ambrose 20-10 on the road Saturday afternoon Andre Chenault had a breakout game as he rushed for 117 yards on 21 carries and a score to help lead the Saints to the win.
Final Score: Siena Heights 20, Saint Ambrose 10
Location: Davenport, Iowa (Brady Street Stadium)
Records: Siena Heights (3-0), Saint Ambrose (1-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Saint Ambrose took a 3-0 lead after capping a 10 play, 75-yard drive with a 22-yard field goal from Tom Gillen at the 5:46 mark of the first quarter. The Fighting Bees extended the lead to 10 points in the second quarter after Brandon Baalman caught a 27-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Dino Borrelli with 9:38 remaining in the first half.
Siena scored twice in the final two minutes of the second half. The first score came on a 20-yard passing touchdown from Tyler Knecht (King Mills, Ohio) to Austin Krider (Fort Wayne, Ind.) that finished a six-play, 35-yard drive that brought the Saints within four points of tying the game. Vincent Walker scored SHU's final score of the first half with a pick-six on the final play of the half. Walker returned the interception 35 yards for a touchdown. The extra point would give Siena its first lead of the game, 13-10.
The final score of the game came on a two-yard run by Chenault with 4:45 remaining in the game. His run would put a bow on a 12-play, 56-yard drive that ate up 8:01 off the clock and would prove to be the finishing blow.
• Chenault averaged 5.6 yards per carry to lead the Saints rushing attack with 117 yards.
• Kaleb Jefferson (Columbus, Ohio) totaled 93 yards on 23 carries.
• Krider led the SHU receivers with three catches for 34 yards and a touchdown.
• Walker added three tackles to his stat line.
• Kole Murlin (Celina, Ohio) led the Saint defense with 10 tackles, one for loss.
• Wyatt Gardocki (Taylor, Mich.) finished with four tackles, three for loss, and a sack.
• Andrew Loria (Sterling Heights, Mich.) had three tackles and a sack.
• Trevon Claybourne (Redford, Mich.) hauled in a pick and broke up a pass along with his three tackles.
• Khoriece Crawford (20) had the third interception for the defense. He also made two tackles.
• Anthony Secchi (Sterling Heights, Mich.) was 2-3 for extra-point attempts.
• Caleb Meister (Toledo, Ohio) punted five times for 200 yards with a long of 55. He pinned Saint Ambrose inside the 20 three times.
• Cameron Thompson (Ypsilanti, Mich.) returned two kicks for 46 yards.
• Borrelli finished 14-23 for 130 yards and a touchdown through the air for the Bees.
• J. Osterberger led the rushing attack with 45 yards on nine carries.
• Brandon Baalman hauled in three passes for 42 yards and scored the team's only touchdown.
• Vybert Greene had a team-high 12 tackles and a forced fumble.
• Jaxson Nelson finished with eight tackles, three for loss, and a sack.
• J. Jackson had seven tackles, an interception, and two pass breakups.
• Ryan Zitkus also had seven tackles, three for loss, and 1.5 sacks.
• Gillen was 1-2 for field goals and a perfect 1-1 in extra points.
• Brendan Latham punted twice for 56 yards.
The Saints return home to host Trinity Internation next Saturday, September 28 in O'Laughlin Stadium. Kickoff is scheduled for 12:00 p.m., EST.