ADRIAN, Mich. -- The Siena Heights football team was upended by the No. 2 Marian (Ind.) Knights 27-14 on Saturday afternoon. The Saints held a 14-10 lead late in the second quarter, but the Knights would capitalize on Saint turnovers and make a 4th and goal stop late in the fourth quarter to seal the victory.
Final Score: Marian 27, Siena 14
Location: Adrian, Michigan (O'Laughlin Stadium)
Records: Marian (8-0, 4-0 MSFA), Siena Heights (6-2, 2-2 MSFA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Marian took an early 3-0 lead after scoring on a 36-yard field goal on the team's opening drive. The kick sealed a 10-play, 59-yard drive that took 3:24 minutes off the clock. After a Saint three and out, the Knights used seven plays to drive 69 yards to score the game's first touchdown and take a 10-0 lead.
The second quarter was all Siena as Deontae' Rush hauled in an 18-yard touchdown reception to finish an 11-play drive to cut the deficit to three points with 9:10 remaining in the half. Jared Jordan scored on a two-yard rushing touchdown with 4:22 remaining in the first half to take a 14-10 lead over Marian. The Knights would respond on the next drive with a three-yard run by Charles Salary to retake the lead 17-14 heading into halftime.
Marian extended the lead to six points in the third quarter when Matt Plesac made a 19-yard field goal to put the score at 20-14. The final score of the game came on a Johnny William 13-yard touchdown catch with 7:49 remaining in the third to put the score at 27-14, Knights.
The Saints had a shot to bring the team within one score in the fourth quarter. The first opportunity was on a 39-yard field goal attempt from Brady Tanguay that was blocked by Marian's TJ Corner. On the last Saint drive of the game, the Knight defense made a stop on 4th and goal from their own 2-yard line to regain possession of the ball and milk the clock.
• Tyler Knecht went 19-29 passing for 204 yards and a touchdown.
• D'aries Davis carried the ball 25 times for 85 yards.
• Adam Glanders made some big catches for Siena on a three-catch, 57-yard game.
• Damon Wright Jr. hauled in six receptions for 54 yards.
• Trevon Claybourne had five tackles and one interception on the day.
• Griffin Sobol and Trenton Morrow tallied six tackles.
• Caleb Meister punted twice for 78 yards.
• Ethan Darter completed 15 of his 27 pass attempts for 166 yards and two touchdowns.
• Charles Salary had 24 carries for 189 yards and a touchdown.
• Johnny William totaled nine catches for 100 yards and two touchdowns.
• The Knight offensive line kept the quarterback clean as the unit allowed no sacks on the day.
• Nickai Poyser had 28 tackles, 0.5 sacks-2yards, 2.5 tackles for loss, and one forced fumble.
• Darrell Wilson tallied 12 tackles and one interception.
• Plesac was 2/2 in field goals and 3/3 in extra points.
The Saints will host Lindenwood-Belleville next Saturday, November 3. Kickoff is scheduled for 1:00 p.m., EDT.