BOURBONNAIS, Ill. -- The Siena Heights football team began the season 2-0 after a second defensive battle on the road. The Saints used three field goals to pull out the 16-7 decision over the Tigers. Brady Tanguay (Trenton, Mich.) outscored ONU by scoring 10 points for Siena off of three made field goals and an extra point. He was 3/3 in three-pointers with a long of 43.
Final Score: SHU 16, ONU 7
Location: Bourbannais, Illinois (Ward Field)
Records: SHU (2-0), ONU (1-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Siena took the lead after capping off a 10-play, 39-yard drive with a field goal for the 3-0 lead in the first quarter. The drive eliminated 5:14 of time off the clock.
Jordan Lawton gave ONU the 7-3 after a seven-yard passing touchdown in the second quarter.
The Saints made two field goals in the second quarter to take a 9-7 lead into the locker room at halftime.
Damon Wright Jr. (Detroit, Mich.) tallied SHU's first touchdown of the game after a nine-yard reception from Tyler Knecht (King Mills, Ohio) finished off a six-play, 51-yard drive with 5:26 remaining in the third quarter.
Siena's defense caused the Tiger offense fits all day, holding ONU to only 164 offensive yards.
• Knecht completed 13 of his 21 pass attempts for 141 yards and a touchdown.
• D'aries Davis (Wyandotte, Mich.) recorded 28 carries for 122 yards for a 4.4 yard per rush average.
• Wright Jr. finished with eight catches for 66 yards and a touchdown.
• Nick Stalworth (Clarkston, Mich.) led the defense with six total tackles.
• Griffen Sobol (Morris, Ill.), Logan Smith (Liberty Center, Ohio), and Trenton Morrow (Norwalk, Ohio) each tallied five tackles. Sobol had 1.5 tackles for loss and an interception returned for 11 yards along with a pass breakup. Morrow finished with an interception (19 yards) and a fumble recovery.
• Tanguay was the difference for the Saints with his 10 points scored in the game.
• Caleb Meister (Toledo, Ohio) had seven punts for 261 yards with his longest punt of 47 yards. He also pinned two punts inside the 20.
• Brock Quinlan (Celina, Ohio) totaled 251 yards on five kickoffs.
• Jordan Lawton was 6-14 passing for 68 yards, a touchdown, and an interception.
• Jared Honey had 11 carries for 57 yards to lead the Tiger rushing attack.
• Rashaan Gaymon hauled in four catches for 54 yards.
• Jalon Simpson led ONU with 20 tackles, one for loss.
• Caleb Coe finished with 19 tackles, one for loss, and half a sack.
• Josh Anderson totaled 329 yards on eight punts. He had a long of 62 yards and pinned two punts inside the 20.
The Saints return to Adrian next week for the home opener against Robert Morris (Ill.) on September 15. Kickoff is scheduled for 1:00 p.m., EDT.