ST. LOUIS -- The Siena Heights football team pulled out a 21-7 win over Missouri Baptist in a defensive battle on Saturday afternoon. Sophomore quarterback Tyler Knecht (King Mills, Ohio) was 9-15 passing for 111 yards to lead the Saints in the win. He also scored once through the air and once with his legs.
Final Score: Siena Heights 21, Missouri Baptist 7
Location: St. Louis, Mo. (De Smet Jesuit HS)
Records: Siena Heights (1-0), Missouri Baptist (0-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
After a deadlock in the first quarter, the Saints took a 7-0 lead in an eight-play, 80-yard drive that was capped with a 13-yard pass from Knecht to Damon Wright Jr., (Detroit, Mich.) SHU would take that lead into the locker room as neither team was able to score for the remaining of the first half.
The Spartans knotted things up when Chris Baldwin finished a long drive with a 4-yard touchdown run. The drive went for 60 yards and took 11 plays and 5:17 off the clock.
The Saints retook the lead in their first drive of the fourth quarter after Jared Jordan (Grosse Point Wood, Mich.) scored a rushing touchdown from 15 yards out and Brady Tanguay (Trenton, Mich.) added the point after to give SHU a 14-7 advantage.
After forcing Missouri Baptist to its sixth three and out, Knecht gave Siena the insurance score with his 7-yard touchdown scramble to put the score at 21-7, Saints.
• D'aries Davis (Wyandotte, Mich.) took 31 carries for 111 yards to lead SHU on the ground.
• Jordan finished with 10 carries for 68 yards and a touchdown.
• Deontae' Rush (Chicago, Ill.) led all Saints receivers with two catches for 40 yards.
• Wright hauled in three receptions for 25 yards and a touchdown.
• The SHU offensive line kept Knecht clean as Missouri Baptist failed to record a sack for the entire game.
• Malik Edwards (Port Huron, Mich.) anchored a stout Siena defense with six tackles (4.5 tackles for loss) and 3.5 sacks.
• DeVonte Collins-Anderson (Columbus, Ohio) tied Edwards with six tackles (one for loss) and one sack.
• Trevon Claybourne (Redford, Mich.) had five tackles (one for loss), had one pass breakup, and hauled in the Saints lone interception.
• Izayah Newsom (South Bend, Ind.) contributed five tackles (2.5 for loss) and 1.5 sacks in the game.
• Tanguay was 3/3 in extra points.
• Caleb Meister (Toledo, Ohio) totaled 115 yards on three punts and pinned the Spartans inside the 20 twice.
• Chase Brown was 15-27 passing with 113 yards.
• Chase Baldwin rushed 16 times for 60 yards and a touchdown.
• Anthony Taele hauled in five catches for 40 yards.
• D.J. Johnson led the Spartans with 11 tackles and one interception.
• Kenyon Perkins tallied eight tackles and an interception.
• Ethan Metzler was a perfect 1/1 in extra points.
• Dom. Demerath tallied six punts for 258 yards and pinned the Saints inside the 20 once.
The Saints will continue their road trip next week by traveling to face Olivet Nazarene (Ill.) on September 8. Kickoff is scheduled for 2:00 p.m., EDT.